Re: [plug] PDA/Phone programming platform (was: Openmoko Neo…

Author: Orlando Andico
To: Philippine Linux Users' Group (PLUG) Technical Discussion List
Subject: Re: [plug] PDA/Phone programming platform (was: Openmoko Neo ...)
I guess what I'm really saying re: OpenMoko is that it's a fringe
hardware implementation.

So open or not, it will never achieve the ubiquity of Nokia or
Sony-Ericsson. In other words it will be an interesting hacker curio,
but not something the world in general will actually use.

And don't say "OpenMoko will continue to make hardware for us
hackers...." they won't. Look what happened to the OLPC. Which is much
better funded and backed.

Bottom-line, pick a hardware platform that stands a good chance of
being around (and supported!) a few years down the road.