Re: [plug] PDA/Phone programming platform (was: Openmoko Neo…

Author: Rommel Feria
To: Philippine Linux Users' Group (PLUG) Technical Discussion List
Subject: Re: [plug] PDA/Phone programming platform (was: Openmoko Neo ...)
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 4:27 PM, <descasa@???> wrote:

> Sabi ni Doc Ambo noong Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 3:54 PM:
> > 6. J2ME. This is what the folks (at the Ateneo Java Wireless Competency
> > Center) use. Using Java, all they have to do is learn one tool set (and
> the
> > implementation details for each particular phone), and they can develop
> > for any phone with Java. But Java is interpreted, and on a 400MHz ARM
> > phone, interpreted Java will run much slower.
>
> Besides which, I'm not totally convinced of J2ME's
> write-once-run-anywhere claim. I've been looking at Java apps for my
> LG KU380, hoping that those for a Nokia would run. No such luck -- my
> phone doesn't appear on the supported platform for the apps I want.

The issue here is how each mobile manufacturer implements the VM. Unlike on
the desktop (at least with Windows and Linux), the VM is mostly either from
Sun or from the Open Source community. Until you can find a STANDARD feature
set, apart from SMS and voice calling, across all mobile phones, then I do
not think that WORA on JavaME will be possible.

HOWEVER, there are midlets that are cross-platform! You just have to search
for it. Try handango.com. :)

--
Prof. Rommel P. Feria
Apple Distinguished Educator / Sun Java Champion

Department of Computer Science
University of the Philippines - Diliman
Quezon City 1101 Philippines
Tel/Fax: +63 2 434 3877