Re: [plug] PDA/Phone programming platform (was: Openmoko Neo…

Author: descasa
To: Philippine Linux Users' Group (PLUG) Technical Discussion List
Subject: Re: [plug] PDA/Phone programming platform (was: Openmoko Neo ...)
Sabi ni Doc Ambo noong Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 3:54 PM:
> 6. J2ME. This is what the folks (at the Ateneo Java Wireless Competency
> Center) use. Using Java, all they have to do is learn one tool set (and the
> implementation details for each particular phone), and they can develop
> for any phone with Java. But Java is interpreted, and on a 400MHz ARM
> phone, interpreted Java will run much slower.

Besides which, I'm not totally convinced of J2ME's
write-once-run-anywhere claim. I've been looking at Java apps for my
LG KU380, hoping that those for a Nokia would run. No such luck -- my
phone doesn't appear on the supported platform for the apps I want.

--
Daniel O. Escasa
independent IT consultant and writer