[plug] PDA/Phone programming platform (was: Openmoko Neo ...…

Author: Pablo Manalastas
To: Philippine Linux Users' Group \(PLUG\) Technical Discussion List
Subject: [plug] PDA/Phone programming platform (was: Openmoko Neo ...)
I am thinking of OpenMoko Linux as a platform for open source
PDA/phone programming, and not the Neo as a possibly commercially
successful mobile phone.  The future commercial success of the Neo
is just a secondary objective to me. If any OpenMoko Linux phone,
by some accident, becomes commercially successful, then the investment
in learning OpenMoko Linux phone programming becomes worth it.

The choice of OpenMoko Linux is the only real choice, for the moment.
Compare the following PDA/phone SDKs:

1. Windows Mobile 2003 SDK on eVC++4.0.  The driver for the PDA or
phone emulator will not install on Windows XP, so you can not test your
programs on the emulator.  Can you even produce executables for the
ARM hardware? I do not know.  I tried for the O2 Xda IIs, but failed.

2. PalmOS Garnet SDK.  PalmOS is gone, and all the new Treo phones
are now running Windows Mobile.  PalmOS is a beautiful developer's
platform, with beautiful documentation, but it is dead.

3. Nokia Symbian Series 60, 2nd Edition, FP2 for Nokia 6680.  The indian
expert from Nokia who showed the use of the SIP protocol stack could not
even get the demo programs to compile, much less to work. If the Nokia
expert could not do this, how much less is the chance that we normal
programmers can get the demo programs from Nokia to work?  Have you
seen the quality of the Nokia documentation for their SDK? Do you know
how much professional membership in Forum Nokia costs? My annual
salary in Ateneo will not be enough to pay for annual subscription.

4. iPhone SDK.  Has anyone in PLUG any idea what this is? Has anyone ever
downloaded it?

5. OpenMoko Toolchain (http://www.openmoko.org/wiki/Toolchain).  I have
not really used this, because it is too new, and I do not even have the Neo
phone to develop for, but after reading the web page, I can see some hope.
Now all I have to do is look for developer (API) documentation.

6. J2ME.  This is what the folks (at the Ateneo Java Wireless Competency
Center) use.  Using Java, all they have to do is learn one tool set (and the implementation details for each particular phone), and they can develop
for any phone with Java. But Java is interpreted, and on a 400MHz ARM
phone, interpreted Java will run much slower.

Pablo Manalastas
***