Re: [plug] Openmoko Neo Freerunner available for USD399.00

Author: Gideon Guillen
To: Philippine Linux Users' Group (PLUG) Technical Discussion List
Subject: Re: [plug] Openmoko Neo Freerunner available for USD399.00
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Orlando Andico <orly.andico@???> wrote:
> IIRC Symbian is going open-source.

They'll make ths OS open source, however, Nokia phones might still
require signed executable, just like TiVo. In short, I might not be
able to run applications that I wrote or downloaded then
compiled/built then run it on the phone without having it signed by
Nokia. The other problem is that most of us won't have the equipment
to flash the phone with a custom-build firmware, not to mention it
might not run because it is not signed by Nokia. All the homebrew or
open source applications (that you compile) will probably only run on
a mobile emulator.

The only reason I think Nokia opening the source for Symbian is to
encourage other phone manufacturers to adopt Symbian for their phones
especially now that the iPhone, Android, LiMo are getting all the
attention.

--
Gideon N. Guillen
gideong@???