Re: [plug] Openmoko Neo Freerunner available for USD399.00

Author: Ricky Nite
To: Philippine Linux Users' Group (PLUG) Technical Discussion List
Subject: Re: [plug] Openmoko Neo Freerunner available for USD399.00
Nokia's move on Symbian is fairly recent, and may just be due to
pressure from Google's Android, and LiMo. But there are no phones out
for all these platforms yet, and even if they do come out, I don't think
they will really be truly "open" ..

OpenMoko's approach of also opening up the hardware makes it more like
an open mobile device (generic) platform. The mobile phone may just be
one of many possible applications. It has already been morphed as a GPS
receiver/navigation gadget:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/02/dash-express-powered-by-openmokos-neo-open-source-hardware-plat/

The customization possibilities are intriguing. Anyway, here's a review:
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/open-moko-software.ars