Re: [plug] St. Paul's College goes Microsoft

Author: Mark David Dumlao
To: Philippine Linux Users' Group (PLUG) Technical Discussion List
Subject: Re: [plug] St. Paul's College goes Microsoft
There is a naive class of Linux support who don't take OS migrations
as seriously as they would, say, network equipment migrations, and so
we end up with problem cases like this. The fact is that Operating
Systems are likely to be a class more complicated than network
equipment migration is often neglected and users are sometimes left to
fend for themselves after initial setup is done.

This is sad, because a job well done for the implementer could have
translated into good, semi-passive income.

See I think the moral lesson in the article is not that St Paul
shifted to Microsoft. It's that St. Paul employed First Datacorp as an
implementer. The key there is that companies like these are likely to
be good at doing what they do: analyzing situations, explaining to
decision makers, proposing solutions, and following through to the end
to make sure their solutions look good. That's what the business
really is, and that doesn't change whether you're getting paid to
deploy open source or proprietary stuff. Someone who wants to do a
serious deployment for people who think business concerns has to be
good at the above. It's just a guess that the one who did St. Paul
probably missed it.

So, I wonder who? Was it internal?

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Rommel Feria <rpf.list@???> wrote:
> <http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view/20080711-147772/RP-college-replaces-open-source-system-with-Microsoft-OS>
> Folks - why are we still getting press releases like this one? Shouldn't we
> be covering the schools already? I mean, PLUG should help schools to keep
> using FOSS. The reason that it is confusing their students is very lame.
> Whoever has any connections with St. Paul's, can you please let them see the
> light? :)
>
> --
> Prof. Rommel P. Feria
> Apple Distinguished Educator / Sun Java Champion
>
> Department of Computer Science
> University of the Philippines - Diliman
> Quezon City 1101 Philippines
> Tel/Fax: +63 2 434 3877