[ph-isp] Problems sending emails to Philippine addresses

Top Page
Author: Richard B. Anderson, Jr.
To: ph-isp
Subject: [ph-isp] Problems sending emails to Philippine addresses
Hello from southern Virginia in the United States,

For the last several days, I've been trying to contact a friend in the Philippines by email and EVERY one of my messages, including attempts to contact the ISP directly for help, have BOUNCED. I also found an alternate email address through which I should've been able to reach my friend, but attempts to reach her that way BOUNCED, too.

The primary ISP involved is info.com.ph, and I received email successfully from my friend via that account this past January. The alternate email address I found was with pworld.net.ph.

Here's the important part of the bounce notice:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

******@info.com.ph [I blocked the beginning of my friend's email address to help maintain her privacy]
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<ramcut@???>:
    host mail.epldt.biz [203.131.76.232]: 550 5.1.1 User unknown

When I tried contacting the ISP directly, here's what came back:

  elife@???
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<elife@???>:
    host mail.epldt.biz [203.131.76.232]: 550 5.1.1 User unknown

I obtained the elife@??? address straight from the info.com.ph web site. Also, I tried emailing "postmaster@???" and I think it bounced, but I must not have saved the bounce notice.

Is there ANYTHING the rest of you can suggest to help me get around this problem? I've known the person to whom I was trying to send the email for over 20 years [since she attended college here] and fully believe that unless something drastic happened in her life, she would've let me know about changing email service providers, etc.

My Internet access is a plain old dial-up account with a large US company and I've never had a problem like this before.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who may have helpful suggestions [be advised, though, that direct emails to me will be intercepted -- but NOT bounced back -- by my ISP's anti-spam filtering system -- I'll see the message(s), but perhaps not immediately].

Best wishes,

Richard Anderson in Danville, Virginia