[plug-newbies] Re: Network Operating System

Top Page
Author: Philippine Linux Users' Group (PLUG) Newbies Discussion List
Subject: [plug-newbies] Re: Network Operating System
xrm user <xrmuser@???> writes:

> If it's not a unix clone talaga but I think it's a unix "flavor".
>
> Topic definition: A flavor can be a distribution of the UNIX operating
> system, or a UNIX-like operating system. The major flavors include
> both commercial and...

That statement above would seem to provide a sufficient definition.
Unfortunately, it is vague, in the sense that you loosely overload the
word `flavor' one more time to mean somthing besides what we can sense
with our tongues. Just as `clone' has been described as something that
is an `exact copy' (that term, by the way, is also open for differing
interpretation ;) of some other thing.

Also, it is irrelevant to note whether a flavor/clone/copy is commercial
or otherwise, given your definition. What is relevant is whether Linux,
as the operating system, is commercial or otherwise, which I think most
people know what the answer is...

--
ZAK B. ELEP    <zakame@???>    --    <http://zakame.spunge.org>
1024D/FA53851D        1486 7957 454D E529 E4F1  F75E 5787 B1FD FA53 851D