RE: [plug-newbies] Re: Network Operating System

Top Page
Author: Philippine Linux Users' Group (PLUG) Newbies Discussion List
To: Philippine Linux Users' Group (PLUG) Newbies Discussion List
Subject: RE: [plug-newbies] Re: Network Operating System
On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 17:03 +0800, Rosaldo Garcia wrote:
<snipped a lot>

> Unix Clone
>
> Linux is a clone of Unix. The latter is a family of heavy duty,
> high-performance operating systems that was originally developed at AT&T
> Bell Labs in 1969 by Ken Thompson. Much subsequent work on Unix was carried
> out at the University of California at Berkeley (UCB).
>
> The term clone in this context means that Linux was developed to mimic the
> form and function of Unix operating systems but its source code was written
> completely independently (i.e., none of it was copied from Unix source
> code). Source code (also referred to as source or code) is the version of an
> operating system or other software as it is originally written (i.e., typed
> into a computer) by a human in plain text (i.e., human readable alphanumeric
> characters) in a programming language (e.g., the C language in the case of
> the Linux kernel).

I like this definition. Context yields meaning, and setting context on
the use of the word 'clone' is very well done here.

<snipped a lot more />

> Additional introductory information about Linux is contained in the Linux
> FAQ.

Do you have a link to this, or did you write all that? :D

> Created March 2004. Updated September 1, 2004.
> Copyright © 2004 Bellevue Linux. All Rights Reserved.

Of course, we must preserve the copyright. :D

--
Dean Michael C. Berris <mikhailberis@???>
GPG Key: 0x08AE6EAC