Re: [plug-newbies] Re: Network Operating System

Top Page
Author: Philippine Linux Users' Group (PLUG) Newbies Discussion List
To: Philippine Linux Users' Group (PLUG) Newbies Discussion List
Subject: Re: [plug-newbies] Re: Network Operating System
On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 19:07 +0800, fooler wrote:
> [...]

<quote>
WHAT IS LINUX?

Linux is a Unix clone written from scratch by Linus Torvalds with
assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers across the Net.
It aims towards POSIX compliance.
</quote>

WHAT IS AN ORANGE?

An orange is a clone of an apple but a completely different thing.
Yadda yadda yadda.

Would something be a clone if it were something completely different?
Well maybe I have a different use for the term clone. Maybe they "work
alike" but even that statement is skewed.

I am a clone of you, only that I am different. To me that doesn't make
sense.

(Ok, so the README file says it, that doesn't necessarily make it "TRUE"
and my assessment that Linux is written from scratch by Linus Torvalds
and other hackers would still hold -- but that is moot and academic)

> download any kernel version of linux and extract it and read the README
> file... it is there what is linux is all about...

And I can put anything on my README files. ;)

I can say that Evolution is an Outlook clone, written from scratch by
Ximian hackers and contributors -- even THAT might be believed.

(To clear things, Linux has no affiliation whatsoever with ANY of the
UNIX distributions out there. UNIX and Linux are completely different
animals, and calling one a clone of another would be incorrect -- even
if the README file says so.)

--
Dean Michael C. Berris <mikhailberis@???>
GPG Key: 0x08AE6EAC