[plug] National Strategic Planning for ICTs in Basic Educati…

Author: Marvin T. Pascual
To: plug-org, plug
CC:
Subject: [plug] National Strategic Planning for ICTs in Basic Education Initiative: A Round Table Discussions
Hello my fellow PLUGgers, Linux and Open Source advocates,

The Department of Education together with the Commission on Information
and Communications Technologies (CICT) and the Foundation for
Information Technology Education and Development (FIT-ED) had organized
a series of round table discussions for the National Strategic Planning
for ICTs in Basic Education Initiative. Surprisingly, PLUG was one of
the acknowledged organization and has been invited to attend the said
endeavor. I attended the first round table discussion together with
some of the incumbent board members of the organization and Sammy
Mallare of DLSU, and we represented PLUG during the event.

I also recommended some of the names in the PLUG who are currently in
the academe. Unfortunately, they weren't able to attend the first round
table discussion maybe because they have a conflict of schedule and
maybe it was their exam days. Hopefully, they can attend on the second
round table discussion which has been scheduled by next month already.

By the way, this event is not exclusively for people who are into
academe only as what I was expecting before. Everyone is encourage to
join us to fight and promote Linux and Open Source for the ICTs in
DepEd. Please send your name, e-mail and contact numbers to me or to
Mr. Paolo Alexis Falcone, PLUG's incumbent secretary, privately if you
are willing to support PLUG and help DepEd in their ICTs and quality
education to students.

Below are the 5 major topics for the upcoming series of round table
discussions and hopefully, there will be at least one representative
from PLUG or if not at least a Linux and Open Source advocate.

- Broadening Access to Education (April 18, from 9:00AM to 4:00PM)
- Improving Planning and Management (April 19, from 9:00AM to 4:00PM)
- Enhancing Quality of Learning (April 20, from 9:00AM to 4:00PM)
- Enhancing Quality of Teaching (April 21, from 9:00AM to 4:00PM)
- Sustainability (April 29, from 9:00AM to 4:00PM)

The said round table discussions will be held at the Seminar Room,
National Computer Center, C.P. Garcia Avenue, UP Diliman, Quezon City.

I am also encouraging everyone, especially to those who are into academe
to prepare and send to me or to our secretary your "success stories" on
your Linux and Open Source migration or studies implemented in your own
organizations, companies, schools and/or clients. Your paper will help
us to easily convince DepEd to implement in some if not all of their ICT
plans and projects. They also need to have basis of migration because
they are not confident yet to implement Linux and Open Source especially
when it comes to "support" considering that we are expecting/addressing
of around 460,000 teachers nationwide.

You can download the Draft Minutes of the NSPI Inception Meeting last 15
February 2005 held at Heroes Hall, Malacañang at
http://plug.linux.org.ph/nspi.pdf in PDF.

Again, in behalf of the PLUG, Inc., I am requesting papers from your own
"success stories" and also your participation for the second round table
discussions by next month.

Thanks in advance.

In service to the Linux and Open Source community,

---
MARVIN T. PASCUAL
E-mail: mpascual AT qsr DOT com DOT ph
Tel. No. +63 2 9287776