Re: [ph-networkers] Connection failover

Top Page
Author: Carlex Crespo
Subject: Re: [ph-networkers] Connection failover
A connection failover is a solution wherein you utilize two or more
different internet connections
usually from different ISP's and connecting them to your linux box
acting as a router/firewall/gateway and load balancer. This is being
setup to provide uninterrupted service to your local network users as
well as users accessing your servers from the internet.

Here's what you need to setup a failover solution:

1. 2 or more internet connection with static IP assigned by the ISP.
2.  Linux box  with  NIC connecting your box to the LAN and NIC's for
the internet connections.
3.  Fedora Core 2 and  iptables
4. Patched linux kernel. You may get your patch from this site.
http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/#routes.
     Patch for Kernel 2.6.10 ->   http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/routes-2.6.10-12.diff
5.  Compile and Install your patched linux kernel.
6.  Comple and install iproute2. Get the source from this url ->
ftp://ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-routing/iproute2-2.4.7-now-ss020116-try.tar.gz

7. Configure your router/firewall based on the article on multiple
internet connection by following this link ->
http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/nano.txt
8. Then test your connection using tcpdump.