[plug-org] Re: Meeting sponsorship

Author: The Philippine Linux Users' Group Mailing List for Org Matters
Subject: [plug-org] Re: Meeting sponsorship
Paolo Alexis Falcone <pfalcone@???> writes:

> I've already hinted about it to Jojo Castillo of APC. I'd discuss the
> details hopefully on Friday before I conduct my classes (I'm only there
> MWF from 1pm to 6:30pm). Do give me a list of what you expect to discuss
> on the afternoon of 26 February 2005.

Okay, here's the thing; I'm not precisely sure. <impish grin>

- What I learned from my internship in Japan
- Learning Japanese on Linux
- Emacs for newbies
- The Ruby programming language
- The Squeak educational computing environment

and older talks, if you want:

- Knoppix: A gentle introduction to Linux
- Surviving computer science
- Taming the TODO
- BlueJ: An object-oriented approach to teaching introductory CS with Java

and completely random things I've been interested in, like setting up
speech synthesis on Linux, playing around with Gimp, the usefulness of
translation, computer science as a way of thinking...

All of these are just introductions; things to get people curious.

I'll prepare slides and notes for all of these things, then I'll spend
varying amounts of time on them depending on people's interests. I
might speak about more than what I've listed. I promise to take breaks
every 15 minutes or so. =)

So essentially, I want people to give me a fairly big chunk of their
time just for kicks, and trust that I'll be able to come up with
something interesting. ;)

I think people should treat it as a Saturday afternoon for relaxing
and perhaps learning a couple of interesting things... ^_^ Not really
a formal technical lecture, but rather like a friend telling lots of
stories (who just happens to have visual aids for said stories, but oh
well... ;) ).

--
Sacha Chua <sacha@???> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, CS ed