Re: [plug-org] Re: [plug] Proceedings of the PLUG General As…

Author: The Philippine Linux Users' Group Mailing List for Org Matters
Subject: Re: [plug-org] Re: [plug] Proceedings of the PLUG General Assembly, 18 December 2004

hi paolo,

rommel and eric have a very good point about people from the three (3)
universities being founding PLUG members. however, it is also true that
they were representing themselves more than the school. this is also
true today. most PLUG members do not really officially represent their
organizations.

some points i agree on:
- granting of "lifetime membership" to the founders (not the
changelings in DS9)
- granting of "lifetime membership" yearly (sacha suggested this i
believe. i am not sure. we can call it something like the "Philippine
Open Source Lifetime Achievement Award". i nominate dr. pablo manaslastas
or eric pareja as it's probable first recipient. we can write down some
guidelines for the award: must be a filipino citizen, must have contributed
significantly to the promotion, use and development of open source in the
Philippines).
- move this discussion to plug-org and not plug :-)

some points i don't agree on:
- institutional members are okay. but, they should not be lifetime.
we would like institution to "renew" their commitment to the organization
yearly. this can be largely symbolic but they should renew. lifetime
individual members do not have to symbolically renew because they have
already done enough. organizations on the other hand change.
- definitely we do not need a members only list. we have enough mailing
lists already.

Quoting Paolo Alexis Falcone <pfalcone@???>:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 08:51:00 +0800, Rommel Feria <rpf0013@???> wrote:
> > Where are UP Diliman, DLSU and Ateneo de Manila University? These are
> > the same universities who started PLUG way back in the 90s. I think it
> > is just ethical to have them as members. The founding members must
> > also be lifetime members of the organization. :P
>
> Eric informed me a few hours ago that when PLUG was conceived, neither
> were representing their respective universities. Nonetheless, it's
> demonstratably clear that the aforementioned universities are more
> than qualified to become institutional members - these institutions
> should be juridical members of PLUG.
>
> The resolution for declaring membership, while already ratified, have
> yet to be notarized as the requirements for such (list of individual
> members, then the letters of authorization for the inclusion of
> juridical members) has yet to be compiled, them having already
> satisfied the other requirements. We hereby implore the authorized
> representatives of the concerned organizations to please pass letters
> authorizing the grant of juridical membership upon their organization.
>
> --
> Paolo Alexis Falcone
> pfalcone@???

William Emmanuel S. Yu
Department of Information Systems and Computer Science
Ateneo de Manila University
email  :  wyu at ateneo dot edu
web    :  http://CNG.ateneo.net/cng/wyu/
phone  :  +63(2)4266001-4186