Re: Linux desktop viability myths exploded (Mike P)

Top Page
Author: Bayanihan GNU/Linux Maintenance and Development Mailing List
CC: eksanz
Subject: Re: Linux desktop viability myths exploded (Mike P)
On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 11:02:06PM +0800, Holden Hao wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 19:07, Edgar Sanz wrote:
> > This is another fruitless discussion/debate to the tume of "linux
> > versus windows".The bottom line is-hindi pa talaga kaya ng linux na
> > mapatumba ang windows.And I would add that the situation in the
> > Philippines is even worst! There is hardly any ordinary pc user in the
> > Philippines who is interested in linux! And no pc supplier in the
> > Philippines would bother with linux since there is no market for it!
>
> Only because pirated windows is cheap also ;)

It's odd because contrary to Mr. Sanz' last statement, there -are- PC
suppliers in the Philippines that DO bother with Linux. Just the other
day, I was happily surprised when I saw a window display of a local PC
supplier at Festival Mall, all of the computers in the display were
running KDE, not Windows XP!

A lot of ordinary PC users who do not want to be besotten with viruses and
worms want something else. Of course, they want to be able to run
programs that right now exist only in Windows, but if you show them
similar programs that work in Linux, they take it and run with it.

To be honest, if more Pinoys would develop programs for Linux instead
of Windows, there's a market for them not only here in the
Philippines, but globally.

--
___ _____________________________  eric pareja (xenos AT maharlika.upm.edu.ph)
\e/ [ Philippine Linux Users' Group  plug.linux.org.ph ] [Python Power!]
#27 [Ubiquitous Computing] [http://www.bookcrossing.com/referral/pusakat]
    Join us on IRC: #plug irc.free.net.ph:6667 | http://www.upm.edu.ph/~xenos