Re: Linux desktop viability myths exploded (Mike P)

Top Page
Author: Bayanihan GNU/Linux Maintenance and Development Mailing List
Subject: Re: Linux desktop viability myths exploded (Mike P)
On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 19:07, Edgar Sanz wrote:
> This is another fruitless discussion/debate to the tume of "linux
> versus windows".The bottom line is-hindi pa talaga kaya ng linux na
> mapatumba ang windows.And I would add that the situation in the
> Philippines is even worst! There is hardly any ordinary pc user in the
> Philippines who is interested in linux! And no pc supplier in the
> Philippines would bother with linux since there is no market for it!

Well, I would agree except for the last part - the markets are there,
but it's not the traditional consumer PC market. Enterprises, ISP's and
schools are quite common penetration markets for Linux deployments.

For one thing, I kinda find PC's with all-Linux compatible and stable
parts to be rather a bit hard to find or a bit more expensive
(especially with the need for external modems) than the cheapest Wintel
combo you could muster. Although it could be said that the compliant
hardware usually is more reliable than parts using proprietary
interfaces/drivers.

Coupled with computer sales personnel not so technical with
Linux/Unix-based innards (well, some aren't even conversant with the
things they sell, by golly), the situation here is quite deplorable.
--

Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@???