Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Nov 2…

Author: Federico Sevilla III
Subject: Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Nov 24)
Fellow Pythonistas,

Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! for the week of 24 Nov 2003. Happy reading!

--> Jijo

----- Forwarded message from Emile van Sebille <python-url@???> -----
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:17:03 -0500

QOTW: "Oddly enough it is in Python that I have had the most fun
programming. It is in Python that I find myself not only the most
expressive but the most elegant in my programming. In Python my code
is the clearest and most concise. I don't for one instant feel
constrained by Python. I feel liberated by it." -- Steve Lamb

"After a few hours with Python, I was already better at object-oriented
Python than I ever was at object-oriented Perl." -- Tuang

    Alex Panayotopoulos stumbles over 'one of the most popular FAQs' when
    initializing instance variables.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=Pine.LNX.4.44.0311211202450.12175-100000@jaws.inf.ed.ac.uk

    Derek Fountain gets help from Erik Max Francis understanding the except
    clause.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3fbdb857$0$1727$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.au

    Chris Gray seeks info on proxy servers written in Python.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=Pine.GSO.4.58.0311181001040.21147@library.uwaterloo.ca

    Thomas Weholt asks if it is at all possible to use python on
    cellular/mobile phones and Mark Hahn says yes.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=rCsvb.294$n31.5237@news2.e.nsc.no

    Neal Norwitz updates PyChecker to Version 0.8.13, a tool for finding
    bugs in Python source code similar to lint.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=mailman.862.1069211336.702.python-list@python.org

    Ian Bicking announces NPyLogo 0.1, the first public release.  PyLogo
    interprets the Logo language, an education Lisp-like language best known
    for its turtle graphics.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=mailman.855.1069193794.702.python-list@python.org

    Bryan J Gudorf releases Python Database Objects (PDO) 1.2.0.  PDO
    provides an object oriented API, similar to that of ADO or JDBC, to
    python developers.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=mailman.781.1069052156.702.python-list@python.org

    Robin Becker asks if there will be an alternative to rotor now that it
    is being deprecated, leading to a spirited discussion of encryption
    versus obfustication.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=b2BHKIAKJiu$Ew0g@jessikat.fsnet.co.uk

    Bob van der Poel is looking for internal data structure advice prompting
    Rony Steelandt to ask if Bob is writing an open source Band in a Box or
    Jammer product.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3fbe4e63_1@dns.sd54.bc.ca

    Tom Verbeure wants to examine sample code or existing open source
    projects that make heavy use of unit testing.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=e4804e26.0311170910.5ab9c208@posting.google.com

    Pierre Denis releases Unum 4.0 beta, a Python module which allows you to
    work with units like volts, hours, meter-per-second or dollars-per-spam
    allowing you can play with true quantities instead of simple numbers.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3fb7dbfd$0$241$4d4efb8e@news.be.uu.net

    Tim Churches asks to verify a GPL licensing question.  As always, it's
    easier asked than answered.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=mailman.981.1069465429.702.python-list@python.org

    Tim Peters follows up to Jeff Davis' puzzler on exponentiation
    algorithms.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=pan.2003.11.23.11.39.26.29737@nospam.com

    MetalOne asks about functional style techniques in Python.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=92c59a2c.0311171648.6360213d@posting.google.com

    Newbie Andy Koch gets links to websites that have code of programs
    written in Python.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=VZvub.13922$Kb3.975852@twister.southeast.rr.com

    Hung Jung wants to know the origin of the term "First-class object".
        http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=8ef9bea6.0311171335.356a7af6@posting.google.com

    Brian Lloyd announces the release of Zope 2.7.0 beta 3.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=mailman.1069184229.22119.clpa-moderators@python.org

    Prabhu Ramachandran announces MayaVi Data Visualizer version 1.3, a
    scientific data visualizer written in Python and using the Visualization
    Toolkit (VTK) for graphics.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=mailman.1069184226.21996.clpa-moderators@python.org

    The martellibot appears to have been off-line most of the week, and
    therefore perhaps missed this...  or is this the explanation... :)
        http://www.greatbridgelinks.com/GBLArchives/YankeesWin.html

Everything Python-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in
these pages:

    Python.org's Python Language Website is the traditional
    center of Pythonia
        http://www.python.org
    Notice especially the master FAQ
        http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

    PythonWare complements the digest you're reading with the
    marvelous daily python url
         http://www.pythonware.com/daily
    Mygale is a news-gathering webcrawler that specializes in (new)
    World-Wide Web articles related to Python.
         http://www.awaretek.com/nowak/mygale.html
    While cosmetically similar, Mygale and the Daily Python-URL
    are utterly different in their technologies and generally in
    their results.

    comp.lang.python.announce announces new Python software.  Be
    sure to scan this newly-revitalized newsgroup at least weekly.
        http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python.announce

    Brett Cannon continues the marvelous tradition established by
    Andrew Kuchling and Michael Hudson of intelligently summarizing
    action on the python-dev mailing list once every other week.
    http://www.python.org/dev/summary/

    The Python Package Index catalogues packages.
        http://www.python.org/pypi/

    The somewhat older Vaults of Parnassus ambitiously collects references
    to all sorts of Python resources.
        http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

    Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
    mailing lists
        http://www.python.org/sigs/

    The Python Business Forum "further[s] the interests of companies
    that base their business on ... Python."
    http://www.python-in-business.org

    The Python Software Foundation has replaced the Python Consortium
    as an independent nexus of activity
        http://www.python.org/psf/

    Cetus does much of the same
        http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

    Python FAQTS
        http://python.faqts.com/

    Among several Python-oriented RSS/RDF feeds available are
    http://www.python.org/channews.rdf
    http://bootleg-rss.g-blog.net/pythonware_com_daily.pcgi
    http://python.de/backend.php
    For more, see
    http://www.syndic8.com/feedlist.php?ShowMatch=python&ShowStatus=all
    The old Python "To-Do List" now lives principally in a
    SourceForge reincarnation.
        http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=355470&group_id=5470&func=browse
        http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0042.html

    The online Python Journal is posted at pythonjournal.cognizor.com.
    editor@??? and editor@???
    welcome submission of material that helps people's understanding
    of Python use, and offer Web presentation of your work.

    *Py: the Journal of the Python Language*
        http://www.pyzine.com

    Archive probing tricks of the trade:
        http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python&num=100
        http://groups.google.com/groups?meta=site%3Dgroups%26group%3Dcomp.lang.python.*

Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
  http://www.ddj.com/topics/pythonurl/
  http://purl.org/thecliff/python/url.html (dormant)
or
  http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Python-URL!&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python

Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
E-mail to <Python-URL@???> should get through.

To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning
(approximately), ask <claird@???> to subscribe. Mention
"Python-URL!".

-- The Python-URL! Team--

Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
sponsor the "Python-URL!" project.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Federico Sevilla III  : http://jijo.free.net.ph      : When we speak of free
Network Administrator : The Leather Collection, Inc. : software we refer to