Re: Redhat Enterprise Linux AS

Top Page
Author: Paolo Alexis Falcone
To: penguignus-2003
Subject: Re: Redhat Enterprise Linux AS
On Sun, 2003-04-20 at 04:58, Marvin Pascual wrote:

> As I considered myself as one of the Open Source and/or Free Software
> advocate, I don't think that this battle is ONLY against for Microsoft.
> If you only knew, Sun has the highest market in Unix servers. Most of
> the systems and servers of the big enterprises around the world are
> using Sun solutions. And all of their hardware are NOT open standards
> and their solutions are VERY commercial.

I beg to differ on Sparc hardware.

SPARC (Scalable Processor Architecture) is covered by IEEE standard
1754-1994. However, the testing for IEEE 1754-1994 compliance is quite
very expensive. Intel architecture is proprietary although they do
document their chip specifications (there have been cases that Intel
does not even document some of their chips' capabilities).

There is a difference between commodity and standard - although most
open standards are commoditized, it's not in all cases, especially when
the compliance testing is very expensive. Sparc is standard hardware,
but not commodity hardware. Intel hardware is the other way around.

--

Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@???