Re: Redhat Enterprise Linux AS

Top Page
Author: Andy Elacion, Jr.
CC: PenguiGnus-2003 Mailing List
Subject: Re: Redhat Enterprise Linux AS

Federico Sevilla III wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 11:23:05AM +0800, Andy Elacion, Jr. wrote:
> > Why not plan 1 group for Debian 1 group for RH 1 for etc. I know this
> > will take time to do all but, as you have said there are 2 Debian
> > geeks here. I know also that there will be RH geek, slackware geek in
> > this group.
>
> Fragmentation. We need to have a solid team. I'm actually worried our
> preferences will prevent us from working solidly as one group. Sigh...
> "GNU/Linux failed because the team couldn't decide what to use".

Yes, I know. This is the dilema of Linux, we have a number of distro's to play
with. Unlike our competitors, windows will only have win2k, Sun will only have
solaris, etc.

> > Why not let the Debian geeks give their idea on how to secure Debian,
> > RH geek on RH, etc. This way we will cover all linux distro. As of
> > the moment we still don't know what distro they will trow at us. It
> > will be better to plan to secure all the distro before hand so that we
> > will not be a sitting duck if they will trow a distro that we were not
> > prepared to use.
>
> When can we be certain about what distribution we will be using? I think
> we need to get our act together at least in this end. The three-day
> hardening period with the actual specs is fine, but I think we need to
> know what hardware and distribution we'll use beforehand so we can
> start.

The way I understand it, they will give the information 3 days before the
convention (I hope I'm wrong). What if, our representatives are RH and Debian
gurus, and they will give us a SuSE distro. Then, we're sitting ducks.